Originally constructed in the 1880s to accommodate the U.S. Customs House, this notable building also provided office space for various other federal entities. Locally recognized as the "Customs House," it played a crucial role in housing federal offices, serving as a federal courthouse, customs house, and post office over the span of a century. In 1929–1930, the building underwent a significant expansion, resulting in the creation of a new facade along Front Street.
In recognition of its historical significance, the building was added to the prestigious National Register of Historic Places in 1980. This designation acknowledges its architectural and cultural value, cementing its place as a cherished piece of the region's heritage.