Early 1900s photo of Chestnut Street, Philadelphia Pennsylvania with The Record and Post Office on the right.
The Public Record, a Philadelphia newspaper, was established in 1870 by William J. Swain, son of William Moseley Swain, founder of the Public Ledger. Originally published at Clark's Hall, the paper underwent changes in ownership and was eventually acquired by William M. Singerly in 1877, who renamed it the Record and reduced its price to one cent. By 1894, it garnered praise as one of the most widely circulated newspapers in the United States, maintaining its popularity even during challenging economic times. The Record's headquarters, known for its modern printing facilities, stood at 917-919 Chestnut Street and played a significant role in the adoption of the Linotype machine in Philadelphia's newspaper industry.